Christian Bale is one of those actors who has attained his well-deserved stardom due to his sheer hard work and dedication. You only have to look at the variety of roles he has done — and how far he stretched himself for those roles — to know that he is an actor who takes his job very seriously. But this article isn’t about his acting skills but other facets of his life that are relatively unknown. Basically, these facts will give insight into Christian Bale, the person.
1. Bale’s mother was a circus performer and his father, who was born in South Africa, was a commercial pilot. The family lived in different countries throughout Bale’s childhood, including England, Portugal, and the United States.
2. Bale’s first acting job was a cereal commercial at the age of nine; amazingly, the next year, he debuted on the West End stage in “The Nerd”. A role in the 1986 NBC mini-series Anastasia: The Mystery of Anna (1986) caught Steven Spielberg’s eye, leading to Bale’s well-documented role in Empire of the Sun (1987).
3. He has three sisters: musician Erin Bale; computer professional Sharon Bale; and director/actress Louise Bale, who appeared in Newsies (1992).
4. He dropped an amazing 63 pounds for his role as the emaciated insomniac Trevor Reznik in the film The Machinist (2004) with only a single vitamin consultation with a nutritionist to guide him. For the most part, he only ate salads and apples, chewed gum, smoked cigarettes, and drank nonfat lattes.
5. If he plays an American character, he will use an American accent in all the interviews related to the film. He says he does this so the audience is not confused.
6. He is an avid motorcyclist but gave up track racing after getting into multiple accidents and receiving a steel plate for his broken wrist, a titanium clavicle and 25 screws for his hand. At one point he also lost the top of his finger but it was later reattached.
7. He auditioned for the role of Jack Dawson in Titanic (1997) and almost got the role but people felt that it wouldn’t be “fair” having two Brits playing two Americans.
8. A devoted animal lover, Bale has two dogs [Mojo and Ramone] and three cats [Miriam, Molly and Lilly], which are all strays that he found.
9. He is active in many organizations, including Ark Trust, Greenpeace, the World Wildlife Foundation, the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund, the Redwings Sanctuary, and the Happy Child Mission, and a school for street kids in Rio De Janeiro.
10. He took up vegetarianism at the age of six but has since returned to eating meat.