“Oscar movie” .. it’s a term that’s used by normal movie-going audience to indicate that the movie falls is too artistic and therefore lacks box-office potential. What they don’t realize is that a major reason why films want to win Best Picture is to earn more money at the box-office (and through home rentals and DVDs). They would also be surprised by how many Best Picture Oscar winners went on to earn more than $100 million at the box-office. Below is the list of highest grossing Best Picture Oscar winners.
Note: The box-office figures are only for USA and have been inflation-adjusted to the current day.
15. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) – $478.5 million
14. Rocky (1976) – $478.8 million
13. Lawrence of Arabia (1962) – $481 million
12. West Side Story (1961) – $486 million
11. The Greatest Show on Earth (1952) – $522 million