Mark Biggins: Hollywood’s Accomplice Keeps a Low Profile Today

Netflix’s ‘How to Rob a Bank’ features the story of Scott Scurlock, more popularly known as “Hollywood,” one of the most infamous bank robbers in US history. From 1992 to 1996, he robbed about 19 banks, amassing roughly $2.3 million. He managed to remain undetected for so many years, partly due to the support of his accomplices, which enabled him to create a sophisticated plan. One of these accomplices, Mark Biggins, shares in the documentary how his involvement with Scurlock began and how life has turned out for him since then.

Mark Biggins Left Scott Scurlock After The First Robbery

Mark Biggins and Scott Scurlock met at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, in 1978. They formed an instant friendship. According to their peers, the former was a big and burly guy who smoked two to three packs of cigarettes daily, was heavily built, and excelled at physical tasks. Even though Scurlock left college before completing his degree, he and Mark maintained their friendship. When Mark faced hard times and financial difficulties following a divorce, he reached out to Scurlock.

Without hesitation, Scurlock invited Mark to help him build an extensive three-story treehouse, which the former intended to use for manufacturing methamphetamine without interruption. Mark accepted the offer, especially as it involved him moving into the treehouse while assisting in its construction. He has since conceded this place was a haven where he and his daughter could live for a few years, allowing him to regain stability. Then, in 1992, Scurlock proposed to Mark that they should leave the drug business as it was too risky and rob a bank together.

Mark agreed, but their first attempt to rob the Seafirst Bank in Madison Park, Seattle, Washington, did not go as smoothly as planned. They wore Ronald Reagan masks to remain unidentified after Scurlock got inspired by the film ‘Point Break,’ yet they were uncoordinated in handling the hostages. Scurlock even mentioned Mark’s name in front of everyone before they faced further difficulties while attempting to flee. They struggled to hear if the car had started, and it took them some time to leave the bank. Their second getaway also didn’t show up at the right spot, so they found themselves running across a golf course with police sirens in pursuit. Fortunately, they escaped capture.

Mark was subsequently overwhelmed with fear of being identified and chose to flee to Montana to hide from the consequences of their actions. Nevertheless, when Scurlock approached him in 1995 with plans to rob three banks consecutively, aiming to make a large sum of money and then retire from the criminal business for good, he agreed. Mark trusted Scurlock, so he agreed to help him manage the situation inside the banks while he emptied the vaults. The planned trial run was scheduled for January 25, 1996. However, unbeknownst to them, the police were one step ahead.

Mark remembered how his second robbery felt distinctly different from the first; it was more methodical and organized, resembling a business operation. Although the police narrowly missed apprehending them this time, they could identify the group’s modus operandi. On November 27, 1996, on Thanksgiving Eve, Mark, Scurlock, and their third accomplice, Steve Myers, decided to follow through with their final act despite knowing trackers were hidden in the bank notes. A brief police chase thus ensued, during which shots were exchanged too. Eventually, the police caught up to them. Mark almost died from a grave gunshot wound to the abdomen and thus received quick medical attention before being arrested.

Where is Mark Biggins Now?

Mark Biggins pleaded guilty to charges of armed bank robbery, conspiracy, assault on a federal officer, and use of firearms during an assault on a federal officer in 1997. He received a sentence of 21 years and three months, which he served in federal confinement until his release in 2015. This sentence included a 10-year term for using semiautomatic assault weapons during the confrontation with police. Today, Mark resides in Olympia, Washington, where he appears to have settled into a quiet life. He prefers privacy and likely spends time with his beloved daughter. Having put his past behind him, Mark may have returned to his interests in music and the arts, which he pursued in his youth.

Read More: Steve Meyers: Where is Hollywood’s Accomplice Now?