Samantha Bonnell: What Happened to Her? How Did She Die?

The episode of Investigation Discovery’s ‘Disappeared’ titled ‘A Mother’s Mission’ delves into the disappearance of Samantha Bonnell, who vanished in September 2005 after going out to see a movie with friends. At the time, she had been traveling across California with her boyfriend. Concerned about the lack of contact, her mother faced obstacles when attempting to involve the police in the investigation. The episode explores the lengths her mother went to to find Samantha and reveals whether her relentless efforts proved successful.

Samantha Bonnell Was Out With Friends When She Went Missing

Samantha Bonnell, born on March 19, 1987, in Oregon, faced challenges after her parents’ separation. When she moved with her mother to Alaska in 1988 and started living with a stepfather, signs of a troubled teenager emerged. Despite being academically responsible, she struggled with the adjustment, leading to a decline in her studies. Her mother noted that Samantha, while inherently brilliant, lost motivation after the move.

Samantha’s struggles continued as she coped with feelings of inferiority among her peers. Engaging in early substance use, including drinking and drugs, became a way for her to navigate these challenges. Described as a free spirit, she often sought refuge at her boyfriend’s house or with friends. After completing high school, she expressed a desire for independence and, on March 17, 2005, left her home for California, where she and her boyfriend, Chris, took on sales roles for a magazine group.

However, the job was not easy and there was immense pressure to meet sales targets. In September 2005, she reached out to her mother, asking for financial assistance and revealing her intention to quit her job. Her mother suggested she return home or go to her grandmother’s house for safety. Samantha, however, insisted on going to Chris’ mother’s house. After confirming the arrangement with Chris’ mother, her mother purchased bus tickets for her. However, the stay at Chris’ mother’s house was short-lived, as the couple quickly returned to California to live independently.

They found new opportunities with another magazine group and quickly integrated into a new social circle. Samantha formed connections with a group of girls from the magazine, and on the evening of September 24, 2005, she went with them to watch a movie in Montclair, California, while Chris stayed behind. Upon the group’s return after a night out, she was missing. When Chris inquired about her, they claimed she was visibly upset and had run away from the theater during the movie. Despite frustration with their nonchalance, he reluctantly accepted their explanation as truth.

Chris, worried and unable to find Samantha, visited the theater but found no trace of her. Around 1 a.m., he called her mother to express his concerns. However, her mother initially dismissed his worries, attributing it to Samantha’s past behavior of occasionally running away. In a week, Chris and the group moved on to Phoenix. Despite this, her mother felt a sense of unease and began reaching out to her friends and family. However, nobody had any information about Samantha’s whereabouts. Although she had a history of running away, her complete disappearance was highly unusual.

Unable to file a missing person report due to Samantha being an adult, her mother faced obstacles in getting official help. As months passed, her optimism waned. In February 2006, the South Carolina police contacted her, revealing that a suitcase belonging to Samantha had been found. While her mother identified some of Samantha’s clothes, the suitcase also contained men’s clothes and baseball caps, none of which belonged to her daughter. A missing person complaint was filed and Samantha’s details were entered into the National Crime Information Center.

At this point, her mother grew increasingly convinced that something nefarious had happened to her daughter and decided to take matters into her own hands. Determined to find Samantha, she meticulously reviewed reports of Jane Does nationwide. In March 2005, she stumbled upon a Jane Doe #17-05 from San Bernardino on the Doe Network website. Initially skeptical, upon confirmation with family, she became convinced that the girl depicted was her daughter. In April 2007, Jane Doe #17-05 was officially identified as Samantha.

Samantha Bonnell’s Death was Ruled as an Accident

The San Bernardino County Coroner’s Office provided details about Samantha Bonnell’s death. Her body was found on Interstate 10 in Montclair, California, on the night of September 24. She had been struck by multiple vehicles while attempting to cross the busy road. Witnesses observed her running along the divider before jumping into traffic. The first person to hit her mentioned that she seemed to appear suddenly, and despite attempting to swerve, the collision occurred.

Samantha lost her life after being struck multiple times on Interstate 10 in Montclair, California. She succumbed to her injuries before first responders could transport her to the hospital. Despite the inevitability of her being hit on the busy road, the circumstances leading to her running onto the roadway remained unclear. Her images and reports of her death had been circulated in the media, but since it was San Bernardino, it never reached her family.

The mystery surrounding the suitcase was resolved when Chris admitted to losing it and told that the male clothes were his. Although her blood showed traces of alcohol, amphetamines, and THC, the coroner ruled that the levels were not high enough to suggest intentional self-sabotage. With no evidence to prove foul play, her death was ultimately deemed an accident.

Read More: Shanti Cooper-Tronnes: How Did She Die? Who Killed Her?