‘American Idol’ has now become a pop culture phenomenon rather than just another competition reality television series. The singing show scouts for hidden talent all over the United States and crowns one final champion at the end of the series.
The show is an American adaptation of the British television series, ‘Pop Idol’ that has become the most widely watched TV franchise internationally. Ryan Seacrest serves as the host while Katy Perry, Lionel Richie and Luke Bryan don the judges’ hats.
American Idol Filming Locations
Many of you might be wondering where is ‘American Idol’ filmed. The show is generally taped in front of a live studio audience at a production facility in a vibrantly designed set. The set on which the actual competition (with contestants who have managed to survive the audition rounds) takes place is located on CBS Television City on 7800 Beverly Boulevard in Los Angeles, California.
— Justin Wilfon (@JustinWilfonWSB) May 20, 2018
Moreover, auditions are also held all across the country, in order to discover talented contestants who are selected to take part in the main competition. Many people might also be wondering where auditions for ‘American Idol’ were held. Continue reading for an exhaustive list of all the locations that ‘American Idol’ visited for the 2020 season.
Season 18/Season 3 Audition Locations
First things first, one can consider the 2020 installment of ‘American Idol’ either as its eighteenth or third season. To clear the confusion, ‘American Idol’ originally aired on Fox, between 2002 and 2016 for fifteen seasons. Then, it shifted to ABC and has enjoyed a three-season run on the network as of 2020. Hence, the 2020 season is sometimes referred to as the show’s third season, when the ABC seasons are counted separately.
Secondly, the grueling Top 40 round, also called “The Showcase Round” had been filmed at Disney’s Aulani Resort & Spa on 92-1185 Ali’inui Dr, Kapolei in Hawaii. Have a look at the following Instagram posts that show how much fun Katy Perry and the rest of the judges had while filming the Top 40 round:
Moreover, the infamous “Hollywood Week,” where the judges significantly cut down on the number of contestants that get to advance to the Top 40 stage was filmed between December 2, 2019 and December 5, 2019. Filming was carried out at the Orpheum Theatre on 842 S Broadway in Los Angeles, California.
Plus, the regional auditions, before the Hollywood week for the eighteenth/third season of ‘American Idol’ had been filmed between September 30, 2019 and November 8, 2019. The first regional round was conducted at Perry Lane Hotel in Savannah, Georgia. The second regional round had been filmed at Milwaukee Art Museum in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The third regional round had been filmed at The Wharf in Washington, D.C. Lastly, the fourth and fifth regional rounds had been filmed at Los Angeles and Portland, Oregon respectively.
Apart from that, preliminary auditions were carried out at various places across the country between June 7, 2019 and September 21, 2019. Here is a chronological list of all the places where the preliminary auditions had been conducted:
- M.A. Festival Fan Alley – A.B.C. Summer Fun & Games Activation, Nashville, Tennessee
- Brooklyn Expo Center, New York City, New York
- GulfQuest National Maritime Museum, Mobile, Alabama
- Macon City Auditorium, Macon, Georgia
- Florida State University – Donald L. Tucker Civic Center, Tallahassee, Florida
- Santa Barbara Veterans Memorial Building, Santa Barbara, California
- Hilton Baton Rouge Capital Center, Baton Range, Louisiana
- Pastides Alumni Center, Columbia, South Carolina
It’s 6:00 a.m. and people are already in line at UofSC Pastides Alumni Center for American Idol Auditions!! pic.twitter.com/wZUShtwobu
— Ron Lordo (@lordo72) August 26, 2019
- Cambridge Recreation Center, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Waco Convention Center, Waco, Texas
- Knoxville Convention Center, Knoxville, Tennessee
- Salt Lake City Northwest Community Center, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Colorado Springs Auditorium, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Duke Energy Center, Raleigh, North Carolina
Who will represent North Carolina at American Idol auditions today. Going on now thru 5pm at
the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts. pic.twitter.com/pjwRJzJKvD
— FoxyNc.Com (@Foxy107104) September 1, 2019
- Ronald Reagan Building – Woodrow Wilson Plaza, Washington, D.C.
- Century II Convention Center, Wichita, Kansas
- San Jose Convention Center, San Jose, California
- David Lawrence Convention Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- O.S. Center, Springfield, Illinois
- Grand Hotel Davenport – Autograph Collection, Spokane, Washington
- Cobo Center, Detroit, Michigan
- Nashville Municipal Auditorium, Nashville, Tennessee
- Wintrust Arena, Chicago, Illinois